Public Services Librarian–Access Services/Reference/Instruction - Assistant or Associate Librarian’s rank
RESPONSIBILITIES: As part of the library’s public services division reporting to the Head of Public Services, the incumbent in this position supports the primary service desk functions of the Access Services Dept. ensuring that Access Services is appropriately staffed all the hours that the library is open, including evenings and weekends. The incumbent will supervise student and support staff and will act as evening supervisor, as needed. He/she will participate in the development, promotion and delivery of resources, services and programs that enhance library support for the university’s instructional and research missions in conjunction with the library staff as a whole.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND ABILITIES:
- Assist the Head of Public Services in the management of all Access Services functions including circulation, reserves and interlibrary loan, serving as back-up support for all functions as needed. Recommend policies, procedures, services and enhancements in Access Services and participate in the delivery of those services. Communicates and enforces library policies and procedures.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate regular staff assigned to Access Services under the direction of the Head of Public Services.
- Coordinate hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of student assistants assigned to Access Services.
- Provide unscheduled support for Access Services as need dictates, including nights and weekends.
- Keep statistics describing the use of access services, and assist library administration in the preparation of various reports requiring those statistics.
- Provide reference desk and/or circulation desk service a minimum of 6-12 hours per week.
- Provide general user education/information literacy instruction and serve as a liaison to one or more academic department(s) for purposes of collection/resource development and specialized user education/information literacy instruction.
- Provide outreach and support for evolving University strategic initiatives related to retention and student success collaborating with the Academic Services Center as requested and appropriate.
- Work collegially and effectively with the library’s professional and support staff as part of the library team.
- Keep abreast of current trends in policy, practices, and technologies as they pertain to public services, information literacy, interlibrary loan, document delivery, and professional librarianship in general.
- Participate in library and university activities as well as engage in scholarly and professional service activities for tenure and promotion.
- Work well with a culturally diverse client population.
- Perform other duties as assigned based on fluctuating library needs, including night/weekend work.
QUALIFICATIONS: Required: ALA accredited Master’s degree or its equivalent; experience with an integrated library system; knowledge of and experience with electronic information resources and current information technology; the ability to work with library staff, university faculty members, students and people from the local community cordially and effectively; excellent oral and written communication skills with a strong service orientation. Desired: College/research library experience including professional experience; supervisory experience; experience providing reference/information services; training or experience in creating instructional materials and delivering information literacy instruction; training or experience in collection development; training or experience with web and mobile applications to support library outreach; experience in interlibrary loan specifically using OCLC interlibrary loan, ILLiad and Odyssey; an additional advanced degree in a subject area, especially in sciences or social sciences.
TO APPLY: send letter of application, resume, and three recent signed letters of reference to: Patricia S. Banach, Director of Library Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) , J. Eugene Smith Library, Eastern Connecticut State University, 83 Windham Street, Willimantic, CT 06226. Screening begins immediately and will continue until position is filled.