Hartford Public Library: https://www.hplct.org/about/job-openings
The Albany Branch of the Hartford Public Library serves as the hub of the North End community, providing a safe space for young people, as well as a growing number of adult customers. The North End has seen a decrease in crime as community policing and the efforts of an engaged business and non profit community has started to take effect. The Albany Branch Manager plays a key role in managing the operations of the library, and serves as a resource for the community, with a seat at the table to address local issues and the power to make a positive impact. The Albany Branch is a new building that is airy and open, and is adjacent to three schools, making it a popular destination for students. They have a highly effective, experienced and engaged team in place, including a Youth Services Librarian, a Security Guard, a full time Library Assistant and two part time staff. The role is open due a promotion.
Reporting to the Public Service Director, who was previously in this role at the Albany Branch, the Branch Manager is responsible for the smooth operation of the library, serving as a working floor manager and reinforcing the customer focused environment. They manage the public service operation of the branch library including circulation, adult services, youth services and security. They are responsible for training, scheduling and evaluating staff, including short term and long term planning. They work with the development of the branch’s collection and programming, and assist in all areas of administration. The Hartford Public Library has received national recognition for innovation and public service, and they are known for being a supportive organization that hires creative people with a passion to serve. This is a chance to learn from the best while working in a challenging environment where you can really make a difference.
- Answer reference questions, perform readers’ advisory services and work with public service desks
- Promote community use of the branch library by speaking to community groups and through other community contacts, acting as an advocate for branch services
- Develop and present library sponsored programs for all age groups including working with educators for class visits and library instruction
- Responsible for the organization, supervision and effectiveness of Circulation, Adult Services, Youth Services and Security. Promote an environment that encourages input from all staff, sets high standards and encourages library staff to provide exceptional customer service
- Responsible for scheduling that ensures adequate staffing on public desks
- Participates in the selection of materials for the branch, evaluating the collection using information from users, potential users and standard weeding and evaluation tools
- Under the supervision of the Public Service Director, formulate the goals, plans and procedures for the branch library, coordinating the activities of the branch in conjunction with overall Library policy
- Participate in the overall administration of the Hartford Public Library through committee or taskforce assignments
- Prepare daily, monthly and annual reports as required, including the annual budget, supplies, and maintenance of buildings, furnishings and equipment
- Serve on professional and community boards where appropriate
- Masters Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program, with active participation in organizations like CLA and NELA a strong plus
- Previous library experience highly desirable
- Must have successful supervisory/ managerial experience, with service organization experience preferred
- Must have a strong commitment to working within a team management structure
- Must have a strong commitment to public service
- Knowledge of selection and classification of library collection helpful, with thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of modern library systems and programs
- Must have strong computer skills with expertise in word processing, spreadsheet and database programs
- Must have a valid Connecticut driver’s license or the ability to obtain one upon employment
Sarah Monson, RecruiterManagement Search Inc.